Category Archives: 1946

Merrill Lee Gattis ’46

Mr. Gattis, 92, died February 8, 2017, at home after a brief illness. He was a second generation Charlotte native, born November 3, 1924, the younger son of Minnie Smith Gattis and Louie S. Gattis

He was a graduate of Central High School and attended Davidson College. Merrill was an accomplished musician, and while a student at Central, he was invited to play violin with the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra

Mr. Gattis was never happier than when he was in, on or near the water. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served on the USS Artemis in the South Pacific during World War II.

He started one of Charlotte’s only Sea Scout troops while a member of Mouzon Methodist Church. A competitive sailor, Merrill belonged to the Lake Norman Yacht Club (Highlander class) and the South Carolina Yacht Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C.

He enjoyed skippering chartered boats in the Caribbean and river barges in England and France. Mr. Gattis was a member of Myers Park United Methodist Church. He served on the board of the Metrolina Association for the Blind and was a dedicated literacy volunteer at the YMCA.

In 1950, Mr. Gattis began a distinguished career in retail furniture at the helm of Colony Furniture & Interiors. Under his leadership for six decades, Colony was known for fine home furnishings and decor throughout the Southeast.

At the store’s closing in 2015, loyal customers traveled from D.C., Florida, Virginia, and North and South Carolina to offer well wishes (and shed a few tears) for the loss of the iconic Charlotte retailer.

Mr. Gattis is survived by his wife, Gail H. Maynard Gattis; his daughter, Linda Gattis Shull (Graeme); and his son, Merrill Lee Gattis, Jr., all of Charlotte. In addition to his parents, Mr. Gattis was predeceased by his brother, Louie S. Gattis, Jr., and his wife, Franklyn Love Gattis.

A memorial service will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at Myers Park United Methodist Church.

The family will receive friends from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Monday, February 13, 2017 at Harry & Bryant, 500 Providence Rd., Charlotte. Interment will be private.

The family thanks especially Dr. Reza Nazemzadeh, Hospice & Palliative Care of Charlotte, and Compassionate Care of Charlotte for their kindness and care of Mr. Gattis.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Hospice & Palliative Care of Charlotte or Myers Park United Methodist Church. Condolences may be offered at www.HarryandBryantFuneralHome.com.

Copyright (c) 2017 The Charlotte Observer

James Milton Bisanar ’46

James Milton Bisanar, 90, of Easton, Md., died peacefully Friday, Nov. 13, 2015. He was born May 1, 1925, in Hickory, to the late George E. Bisanar and Mayme Maxey Bisanar.

He attended Davidson College and received his medical degree from the University of Maryland in 1948, and completed an internship and a pediatric residency there in 1952.

He served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps from 1953 to 1955.

In 1960, he completed a radiology residency at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Radiology. Jim practiced Radiology in Baltimore, Md., for 30 years.

He married Diane Renshaw in 1955. They made their home in Towson, Md., before moving to Easton in 1978.

He is survived by his wife, Diane; two daughters, Karen Canter (Harry) of Easton, and Linda Gnade (Bruce) of Texas; four grandchildren, Laura Canter of North Carolina, Julia Canter of Florida, Nolan Canter of Maryland, and Andrew Gnade (Allison) of Texas; and one great-grandchild, Bennett Gnade of Texas.

He was preceded in death by two brothers, G. Norman Bisanar of Concord, and E. Alan Bisanar of Hickory; and his son, James E. Bisanar of Easton.

Memorial contributions may be made to Talbot Hospice Foundation, 586 Cynwood Dr., Easton, MD 21601; or a charity of the donor’s choice. Graveside services will be private.

Arrangements are being handled by Fellows, Helfenbein & Newnam Funeral Home, P.A., of Easton.

For online tributes, please visit www.fhnfuneralhome.com.

© Copyright 2015, Hickory Daily Record, Hickory, NC

Daniel Malloy McEachin ’46

Daniel Malloy McEachin departed this life October 28, 2015, at his home. He was born August 2, 1925, in Florence, South Carolina. He was the only child of Peter Hector McEachin and Margaret Howard McEachin.

He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Elkins McEachin; daughter, Margaret McEachin Gates (Dennis), son, Daniel Malloy McEachin, Jr. (Amy), grandchildren, Samuel George Gates, FitzLee Howard McEachin (Erin), Peter Hector McEachin (Paige), Amy McEachin Buchanan (Will) and Daniel Malloy McEachin III. He is also survived by one great-grandchild, Margaret Malloy McEachin.

He graduated from Florence High School in 1942. He attended Davidson College before entering the United States Army in 1944. He served in 2nd Platoon, Company A of the 19th Battalion, 14th Armored Division of the 7th Army. He was in combat during World War II from November, 1944 to May, 1945. He was wounded at the Battle of Hatten for which he received the Purple Heart.

After his discharge from active duty in May 1946 he remained in the Army Reserve until 1952. Upon his return from World War II, he entered the University of South Carolina School of Law. While in law school, he was Chief Justice of Wig and Robe, and was first honor graduate of his class.

Upon graduation from law school, he entered the practice of law with his father, Peter Hector McEachin, his aunt, Leah Townsend and his cousin, Eugene N. “Nick” Zeigler.

He later practiced briefly with his son, Malloy. He was selected County Court Judge for Florence County and also served as a Special Circuit Court Judge by appointment. Upon the reorganization of the state judicial system, he was elected a Family Court Judge for the 12th Judicial Circuit.

He was an avid outdoorsman and waterman and athlete, playing golf and tennis until late in life. During his salad days he was a scratch golfer. He had an inquiring mind and was a voracious reader.

Though his formal education ended in 1949, his quest for knowledge in the fields of science, economics, philosophy and mechanics continued until shortly before his death. The family would like to thank Gloria Wright, Denise Charles, Deborah Berry and Willie Mae Goodman for their loyal care.

The family will be receiving guests at his home. Funeral service will be 3:00 p.m. Friday, October 30, 2015, at St. John’s Church with interment following at Mount Hope Cemetery, directed by Waters-Powell Funeral Home.

Memorials may be made to St. John’s Church, 252 S. Dargan St., Florence, SC 29506; or to the charity of one’s choice.

Copyright (c) 2015 The State

Thomas Conner, Jr. ’46

Tom Conner died after a brief illness on Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015 at Piedmont Hospital. He was born Feb. 3, 1925 at old Piedmont Hospital, raised on Lullwater Road in Druid Hills, and attended grade and high school at Druid Hills School.

Prior to service in the Navy during World War II, Tom attended Davidson College. Following his discharge from the Navy, he attended Emory University School of Dentistry, graduating in 1951.

He pursued graduate studies at The Graduate School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, and performed his residence at Grady Hospital and the Veterans Administration Hospital in Atlanta. He entered private practice with his father, Dr. Thomas Conner, Sr., in 1954 and retired in 1989.

Tom was a member of the local, state, and American Dental Societies, The American Society of Oral Surgeons, The American Board of Oral Surgeons, and the Southeaster Society of Oral Surgeons, where he served as president in 1987.

He was a life member of the Capital City Club, the Homosassa Fishing Club, the Peachtree Rod and Gun Club, and past member of The Old Timers – Atlanta Rotary Club.

Tom was predeceased by his parents, Miriam Sneed Conner and Thomas Conner, Sr., his son, Owen Bowden Conner, his wife, Margaret Bowden Conner, and his sister, Ruth Conner Fristoe.

He is survived by his son, Thomas Conner III and daughter-in-law Nancy Vileno Conner, and his sister Miriam Conner Jones, as well as several nieces and nephews.

A celebration of Tom’s life will be held at 11:00 a.m. Thursday at Northside United Methodist Church, Dr. Gil Watson presiding, with burial following at Westview Cemetery. The family will receive guests prior to the service.

Donations may be made to the Lamar Q. Ball Raptor Center, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA 30498 or to Northside United Methodist Church, 2799 Northside Dr. NW, Atlanta, GA 30305.

Copyright (c) 2015 The Atlanta Journal and the Atlanta Constitution

Charles Franklin Blackburn ’46

Charles Franklin Blackburn ’46 of 645 Lakeview Drive, died Tuesday, October 15, 2013, in a local nursing home.

Born on April 30, 1925 in Cleveland, Tennessee, he was the son of the late George Cline Blackburn of Johnson City, Tennessee and Anne Rosson Templeton of Scottsboro, Alabama.

Mr. Blackburn graduated from Henderson High School in 1942 where he had been a drummer in the marching band directed by Thomas Hearne that marched down Fifth Avenue in New York City in the spring of his senior year. He attended Davidson College 1942-43 but left to enter the US Navy, training as a pilot for service in World War II.

After graduating from law school at Washington & Lee University, Mr. Blackburn was admitted to the bar in North Carolina and established Blackburn & Blackburn, Attorneys at Law, with his older brother George in 1949. Their firm subsequently merged with the firm of Perry & Kittrell.

After serving as Prosecuting Attorney for Vance County from 1950 to 1954, Mr. Blackburn was elected to the 1959 session of the North Carolina State Senate representing Vance, Warren, Halifax, and Northampton counties. Governor Terry Sanford appointed him to the NC Commission for the Study of Exceptionally Talented Children (1959-61) and as a member and then Chairman of the John H. Kerr Reservoir Development Commission (1962-67). He was City Attorney of Henderson (1966) and was the first Chairman of the Board Of Trustees of Vance County Technical Institute (1969) and of Vance Granville Community College, serving as Chairman until 1977 and seeing the college through its move to its present campus. Mr. Blackburn was President of the Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce (1977-78) and was named its Outstanding Citizen of the Year in 1990. Mr. Blackburn served for many years in the NC Army National Guard, retiring with the U.S. Army rank of Colonel in 1985 after serving several years as Judge Advocate General for North Carolina. He received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine in 1965 during the administration of Governor James B. Hunt, Jr. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church.

A private graveside service will be held by the family at Elmwood Cemetery. A memorial service will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in the Rose Chapel of First United Methodist Church by Dr. John M. Check. The family will receive friends immediately following the service in the church parlor.

He is survived by his wife, Thalia Jane Tillman Blackburn of the home; his son, Charles F. Blackburn, Jr. and wife, Marsha of Raleigh; his granddaughter, Katherine of Raleigh; and several nephews and nieces.

Memorial contributions may be made to the First United Methodist Church, 114 Church Street, Henderson, NC 27536.

Arrangements were by J. M. White Funeral Home.

Hugh Sanford Larew ’46

Hugh Sanford Larew ’46 – Aug. 24, 1925 – July 22, 2013 Hugh Sanford Larew died July 22, 2013 at Arbor Acres in Winston Salem, N.C. He was born August 24, 1925 in Mocksville, N.C to the late John J. and Mary Sanford Larew. He graduated from Mocksville High School in 1942 and attended Davidson College one year before going on active duty in the Navy V-12 Unit at Duke University. He received his Navy commission at Cornell University and served in the Pacific Theater aboard the USS LSM 373. He was discharged from the Navy in 1946 and entered UNC-CH where he earned a BS degree in 1948. He worked at P.H Hanes Knitting Co. and Western Electric before purchasing an interest in the E.C. Moris Insurance where he worked until retirement in 1982. Prior to moving to Brookridge Baptist Retirement Home, he was an active member of First Presbyterian Church in Mocksville and after moving to Winston Salem he joined Highland Presbyterian Church. He was predeceased by a brother, John K. Larew, in Waynesboro, VA. Survivors include a brother, R. Frank Larew ’48, of Brookridge Retirement community, three nephews, one niece, five great nephews, and one great niece, and one great great niece. A memorial service will be held at Highland Presbyterian Church, 2380 Cloverdale Ave, Winston- Salem, NC, 27103 at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 27, followed by a receiving of friends. Interment will be at a later date at Joppa Cemetery. Memorials may be sent the Joppa Cemetery Fund, c/o Davie Foundation, 194 Wilkesboro St, Mocksville, NC, 27028. Online condolences may be sent to http://www.salemfh.com/.

Willard Lincoln Lemmon ’46

Willard Lincoln Lemmon ’46, 88, of Marion, Va., died peacefully at his home on Nov. 24, 2012. He was born on Sept. 30, 1924, to Frank Tremaine and Alexina Lincoln Lemmon. He was a lifelong resident of Marion and Smyth County, Va., which he loved deeply and believed to be the most beautiful place on earth. He entered Davidson in the summer of 1942, enlisted in the U.S. Army, and was called to active duty in March 1943. Lemmon was a man of deep faith and a lifelong member of Royal Oak Presbyterian Church in Marion, where he served as both deacon and elder. Lemmon also loved to fish, particularly surf fishing, and playing golf. He often said that he got lots of exercise because “I swing the club more than most.” He obtained the rank of sergeant of Infantry Rifle I Company 309th Infantry 78th Division during World War II. He served on the front lines in Germany during the Battle of the Bulge. Lemmon was president of Lemmon Transport Company, Consolidated Real Estate Corporation, and Lemmon Investment Corporation. He served on the board of directors for the Bank of Marion for 39 years. He was vice president of the Virginia Highway Users Association and treasurer of the National Tank Truck Carriers. Lemmon served as vice president of the Smyth County Community Hospital Board, president of the board of trustees of Mary Baldwin College, member of the executive committee of the board of trustees of Emory and Henry College, and the board of visitors for Davidson College and Virginia Highlands College. His service earned him many awards. He was given the Distinguished Service Award as the Outstanding Young Man of Virginia in 1956 by the Virginia Jaycees. He was given the Rotary Club Man of the Year Award in 1975, the State Farmer Degree by the Future Farmers of America in 1986, the Pathfinders Award by the Virginia Elementary School Principals in 1986, and was named Friend of Education by the Virginia Education Association. Lemmon was presented with an honorary doctor of laws degree from Emory and Henry College in 1987. Having served his country in the armed services and his community in these ways, Lemmon also ran and was elected to represent his beloved Southwest Virginia in the Virginia House of Delegates in 1967. He was a member of the Mining and Mineral Resources Committee, chairman of the House Education Committee, and was a member of the House of Appropriations Committee, serving as chairman of its Subcommittee on Funding K-12 Education. In addition to serving in the Virginia House of Delegates, he served as vice chairman of the Virginia Governmental Management Commission, the Governor’s Commission on Excellence in Education, the Governor’s Commission on Educational Opportunities for all Virginians, and the Governor’s Commission on the Future of Virginia. Lemmon served on the Board of Education for the State of Virginia for eight years and was its president for two years. Lemmon was preceded in death by his parents and his brother, Frank T. Lemmon, Jr. Mr. Lemmon is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Rosa Rogerson Lemmon, PO Box 1278, Marion, VA 24354-1278; and his two daughters, Alexina L. Copenhaver (Curtis) and Elizabeth L. Sayers (Lynn). The Lemmons have seven grandchildren, Edward David Sayers, Carolyn Copenhaver Hargrove, Laura Sayers Angle, Kristen Copenhaver Grogan, Charles Curtis Copenhaver, Jr., Sarah Sayers Sparks, and Amanda Sayers Huber; 16 great-grandchildren; and many other family members and in-laws also survive.

Edgar Clayton “Clay” Scofield, Jr. ’46

Edgar Clayton “Clay” Scofield, Jr. ’46 died at Hospice Atlanta in Atlanta, Ga., on Aug. 23, 2012, of complications related to kidney cancer. Scofield was born on July 12, 1925, at Emory University Hospital. He entered Davidson in 1941. After a year and a half at Davidson, he joined the U.S. Army, serving two and a half years during WWII. Following the war, he completed his degree at Davidson, then attended Emory University graduate school in English for a brief while. He entered the business world as a copywriter for an advertising agency, Liller, Neal and Battle, where he worked for 17 years as a writer, account supervisor, and vice president. Upon leaving LNB, he established a small advertising agency, which he served as CEO for 10 years. During this time, he attended the Lamar School of Law at Emory University. He took early retirement, and, with his wife Lucy (“Bim”), settled in Fannin County near Blue Ridge, Ga. Together they developed a small Christmas tree farm, which they maintained for 17 years. Simultaneously, Scofield worked as a freelancer, writing for magazines such as Forbes, Iron Age, PGA, and others, and editing the Blue Ridge News Herald weekly newspaper. In 2001, he and Bim moved to Blairsville, where for many years they continued their activity in the Institute for Continuing Learning at nearby Young Harris College. Scofield led classes, served as a board member, director, and as president of the organization. Scofield was former president of the Ansley Park Civic Association, secretary of the Atlanta Arthritis Chapter, president of the Atlanta Lung Association, and secretary of Sigma Delta Chi professional journalism fraternity. Self-taught, he loved his clarinet and played with a number of jazz bands through the years. He is survived by his beloved wife of 63 years, Lucy “Bim” Waters Scofield, 3100 Northside Pkwy. NW, Apt. 401, Atlanta, GA 30327-1566; sons, E. Clayton Scofield III, Stephen D. Scofield, and William C. Scofield; daughter, Lucy S. Bowerma; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Frank Constantine Cockinos ’46

Frank Constantine Cockinos ’46, 89, of Charlotte, N.C., passed away on Aug. 6, 2012, at his home. He was born in Charleston, S.C., on July 8, 1923, to Irene and Constantine M. Cockinos. Cockinos was an avid Boy Scout and achieved the Eagle Scout award at age 16. He attended Davidson, and while there joined the Army in March of 1943 during WWII, assigned to the 44th Division, 7th Army Infantry. He was discharged as staff sergeant and received the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star for achievement in Germany, and the European Theater Operations ribbon with three campaign stars. Cockinos graduated from N.C. State College in 1949 with a B.S. degree in civil engineering and in 1955 with a P.E. degree in sanitary engineering, and practiced engineering in both North and South Carolina. He owned Frank C. Cockinos & Associates, Inc. Consulting Engineers from 1968 until 1997, when he sold his company. Cockinos was very active in his community and very active in the Greek Orthodox Church. At Holy Trinity, he received many certificates of recognition from the Archdiocese, including Distinguished Sunday School Services, which he taught for 25 years, served on the Parish Council for 11 years and as treasurer for three years; he was active in GOYA on a local and district level, assisted with Yiassou Festival, worked on engineering designs at Hellenic Park, and chaired Habitat for Humanity committee for five years. Cockinos was active in founding the second Greek Orthodox Church, St. Nektarios, in Charlotte, served on Parish Council for four years, two of them as chairman; worked on the engineering design committee for the sanctuary/classroom building; and assisted with stewardship funding and the capital campaign for the proposed church sanctuary building. He served on the Diocesan Council, the Diakonia Center camp for children, Metropolitan Alexios of the Atlanta Diocese bestowed the Archangel Michael Honors in 2004 and 2005, and was an Archon of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Cockinos served in many leadership positions including serving on the Easter Seal Society for the Charlotte Metrolina Dogwood Chapter for 10 years and one as its president. He also served for 11 years as the engineering representative of the N.C. State Commission for Health Services and on the Mecklenburg County Health Commission for six years. Cockinos also served as chairman of Habitat for Humanity for five years. Cockinos is survived by his wife of 51 years, Despina Kleamenakis Cockinos, 6923 Burlwood Rd., Charlotte, NC 28211; daughter, Maria Malliadis (Nikos Malliadis); son, Dean Cockinos (Timira Christenbury Cockinos); grandsons, Christian and Joshua Cockinos; sisters, Mary Catsimatides, Happy Cockinos, and Petsa Schwartz; brother, Michael Cockinos; his wife’s sister, Angela Pembo, and brothers, Nike and Argie Kleamenakis and Andrew Kleamenakis; and many loving nieces and nephews.