Category Archives: 1947

Thomas Levin Powell, Jr. ’47

Thomas Levin Powell, Jr., passed away on Friday, March 10, 2017 in San Antonio.

He was born and raised in Houston where he was elected president of his senior class at Lamar High School. His family relocated to San Antonio before the end of Tom’s senior year where he graduated from Jefferson High School.

Tom received his bachelor’s degree from Davidson College and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, the Debate Team and the Varsity Basketball Team.

He served in the Army Air Corp during World War II as a Radar Observer and Radar Observer Bombardier, and the United States Air Force Reserve, until his discharge as 1st Lieutenant in 1957.

He had a long career in the insurance business and was head of the San Antonio office of Marsh McLennan Companies.

He was a longtime member, Sunday school teacher and former Deacon of First Presbyterian Church.

Tom was preceded in death by his parents, his first wife, Madelyn Plant Powell, his sister, Eleanor Powell of San Antonio, and his sister, Lillion Pace of San Antonio.

He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Jane Cheever Powell, his daughter, Elizabeth Powell Kuper and her husband, Charles A. Kuper, Jr. of Aransas Pass, his son, Thomas L. Powell III of Aransas Pass and his granddaughter, Madelyn Dae Bricken of Boerne, and his niece, Kathy Pace Totten of San Antonio.

A private service and burial is planned for the immediate family at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, memorial donations in Tom’s memory may be made to SAMMinistries, 5254 Blanco Road, San Antonio, Texas 78216.

You are invited to sign the Guestbook at www.porterloring.com

  Copyright (c), 2017, Houston Chronicle. All Rights Reserved.

John Worth McAlister, Jr. ’47

123936_20160523John Worth McAlister, Jr. passed away at home on May 20, 2016. Born on Sept 23, 1924, in Greensboro, NC to John Worth McAlister and Mary Watson Vaughn McAlister, he grew up in that city until entering Davidson College in 1941.

He volunteered at age 18 to serve in the US Army Air Force and was called to active duty in January 1943. After being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, he served as a P 51 fighter pilot with the United States 8th Air Force in Europe until his return in April 1945.

While in combat he received the Air Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster. After the war, he returned to Davidson College and graduated in July 1947. Upon his graduation he was employed by Washington Mills Company, a textile manufacturer.

He married the former Cora Cox Lucas in November 1947, and together they moved to Fries, Virginia, where he became General Manager of Washington Mills weaving division from 1947 to 1973, when he was transferred to Charlotte NC. Together, they raised 5 children in Fries: Betsy, Cynty, Margaret, Sally and Johnny.

Within 3 years of moving to Charlotte, John lost his wife of 29 years, and his job of 26 years, as Washington Mills declared bankruptcy. As was characteristic of his inner strength and resilience, he created a new life for himself, by finding a new career as co-owner of Lucas Travel Agency, and finding a new partner, Eugenia McCray Vanstory, whom he married in December 1978. This chapter of his life was as fulfilling and rewarding as his earlier life in Fries.

John’s hobbies were numerous. He was an avid fisherman and small game hunter all of his life, and a long time member of Camp Bryan, a hunting and fishing club in eastern North Carolina. His children and grandchildren learned their earliest lessons about the outdoors from him. They were especially thrilled by his skills at handling snakes and knowing where to look for alligators at Camp Bryan.

He enjoyed travel, squash and tennis, particularly with the distinguished “old men’s” doubles group (all over the age of 80) at the Charlotte Country Club.Perhaps his greatest passion in later life was woodworking, with a focus on building 18th Century American reproductions.

In a 35 year span he made over 100 pieces of furniture for his family and friends. He was a charter member of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers, and in 2001, received their prestigious Cartouche Award for lifetime achievement in making period furniture. As a self-taught cabinet-maker, he was one of few amateurs to win that award.

Pictures of his work have appeared in many publications, including The Charlotte Observer, and Fine Woodworking, where his Newport secretary/bookcase was featured on the back cover. Another of his pieces was chosen for the 2006 exhibit of Contemporary Classics at the Telfair Museum of Art in Savannah, Ga., the first collection of reproductions exhibited in a major art museum.

He was a charter member of the Charlotte Woodworkers Association, a member of Charlotte Country Club, the Piedmont Club of Charlotte, and Christ Episcopal Church.

John will be remembered by many for his kindness and his humor. His children and grandchildren have treasured his adventurous spirit and his capacity for telling stories. They will carry on his love of wildlife and the outdoors. His legacy of beautiful furniture will be appreciated for many generations.

His great strength in the face of adversity, and the courage and grace he showed as he approached the end of this life sets an enduring example for all.

He is preceded in death by his second wife, Eugenia and his daughter, Cynty. He is survived by Betsy McAlister Groves her husband Tim and two daughters Jeanie and Rebecca; Margaret McAlister and Reed Olszack, her sons David and Alexander Jamison; Sally Marszalek, her husband Fred, and two sons Tucker and Benjamin; and John Worth McAlister III, daughter Mary Beth and son John Worth McAlister IV; step daughter Leigh Vanstory Poe, her husband Tom and daughter, Caroline; step-son Peter Vanstory; step-grandchildren Courtney DeTemple and Stuart Poe.

The family expresses deep appreciation to the staff of the Cypress of Charlotte and to the Hospice & Palliative Care, Charlotte Region.

Visitation will be at the Cypress of Charlotte on Wednesday, May 25, 4:00-6:00 PM. A memorial service will be held at Christ Episcopal Church, Charlotte, on Friday, May 27, 11:00 AM.

Memorial gifts may be made to the McAlister Educational Endowment Fund, Society for American Period Furniture, c/o Charles Watson, 14 Deer Trail Circle, Oxford, OH 45056; or to the North Carolina Nature Conservancy, in the name of John W. McAlister, member id: 1003795456. Online condolences may be shared through www.tallentfuneralservice.com.

Published in Charlotte Observer on May 24, 2016

Rosser Lee Clark, Jr. ’47

Rosser Lee Clark, Jr., 92, of Princeton, NJ passed away at his home on January 2, 2016. Born in Greensboro, NC, Rosser had been a resident of Princeton since 1996. Rosser was a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend, who had a smile for everyone he met. He was married in 1949 to Mary Harris Clark.

Rosser was a decorated Navy fighter pilot who served in the Pacific theater in World War II. He served aboard the aircraft carrier USS Essex, and faithfully attended reunions of his squadron. He continued his military service in the Naval Reserve for more than 20 years.

After the war, Rosser returned to Davidson College where he completed his BS degree. Soon thereafter, he began a nearly 40-year career in textile engineering.

In 1957, Rosser’s work took him and his young family to Comodoro Rivadavia, in the Patagonian region of Argentina. While there, Rosser established the Guilford Argentina textile mill, which is still operating today.

In 1963, Rosser accepted a job with UK-based Courtaulds Fibers in Mobile, AL, where he worked until his retirement in 1988. Rosser was an avid tennis player and sports fan in general.

A lifelong Presbyterian, he was most recently a member of Nassau Presbyterian Church.

The son of Rosser Lee Clark, Sr. and Eva Vertie Aiken, he was pre-deceased by his brother Robert Clark.

He is survived by his wife Mary Bess; his daughter Margaret Tuttle of Decatur, GA; his daughter Sallye Zink and her husband Ron of Princeton; and his son Rosser Lee Clark, III and his wife Rachel of Falls Church, VA. He is also survived by his sister Sara Sue Kruppenbach and her husband Harry of Laurinburg, NC and his sister-in-law Elizabeth Clark of Lynchburg, VA.

In addition, he is survived by grandchildren Robin Lee Clark and Marion Bess Clark, plus numerous nieces and nephews. Rosser will be laid to rest in The Princeton Cemetery at a private service.

A memorial service for family and friends will be held at Nassau Presbyterian Church later in the year.

In lieu of flowers, contributions in Rosser’s memory may be made to the charity of one’s choice . Arrangements are by Kimble Funeral Home, Princeton, NJ.

 

Published in the Mobile Register and Baldwin County from Jan. 5 to Jan. 6, 2016

John Bunyan Exum, Jr. ’47

John Bunyan Exum, Jr. died Monday, August 17, 2015 at Sunnybrook Rehabilitation Center surrounded by his family. A private graveside service will take place at a later date in Rocky Mount, NC. John B., as he was called by his friends, was the son of John Bunyan Exum, Sr. and Bessie Robinson Exum of Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

He spent the early years of his life growing up in in Rocky Mount, earning Eagle Scout honors and graduating from Rocky Mount High School in 1943. John then attended Davidson College for one year before serving in the United States Army Air Corp during World War II. After the war John attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he was a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity.

At UNC, John earned a degree in Business Administration and subsequently attended Law School in Chapel Hill where he received his JD degree in 1953. John then returned to Rocky Mount to practice law for more than 50 years.

During that time he was the Judge of Nash County Records Court from 1964 to 1968. John also served on the local Board of Directors at First Union Bank. John was a voracious reader and enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren, recounting his days at Chapel Hill and his war experiences.

He gave his time and support to others without a desire for recognition. John lived his life with firm convictions of honesty, morality and integrity. He will always be remembered for his keen human insights and dry sense of humor.

John is survived by his only son, John B. Exum, III of Jacksonville, Florida, three daughters, Elizabeth Whitley Exum, Caroline Stowe Exum, Margaret Exum Payne and husband William M. Payne, III (Chip) all of Raleigh; three grandchildren, Campbell and Maggie Payne and Julia Powers.

The family would like to express their sincere thanks to Patsy Ezzell, a friend who gave John support and companionship during the last twenty years.

Special appreciation goes to the staff at Stonybrook Rehabilitation Center in Raleigh for their care of John during his recent illness.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the charity of one’s choice.

Copyright (c) 2015 The News and Observer

Caspar L. “Cas” Woodbridge ’47

1Caspar L. “Cas” Woodbridge, 93, of Hanover Township, entered the nearer presence of his Lord on Saturday, March 14, 2015. He and his wife, Helen L. (Desh) Woodbridge, shared 57 years of marriage. Born in Philadelphia, he was the son of the late Caspar L. and Elizabeth (Wilson) Woodbridge.

During his first 3 years at Davidson College in North Carolina, he became a member of Phi Beta Kappa Society. Cas then enlisted in the Army and was commissioned to 2nd Lieutenant. He was assigned to the 97th Infantry Division as Platoon Leader and was on the front line in Czechoslovakia at the end of 1945. After the war, he served a year in Japan. In 1947, Cas graduated from Davidson College with a B.S. in Physics.

He received a scholarship to continue his education at Penn State University, where he earned a Master’s Degree in 1949 and a PhD in 1952, both in Physics. Cas worked for EI DuPont in Delaware, HRB in Pennsylvania and later for Mitre Corporation in Virginia as a technical consulting representative for the Departments of Defense and Transportation.

After retirement in 1984, Cas learned clock making and repair at Bowman Technical Institute in Lancaster, where he later volunteered for 20 years in the maintenance and documentation of the clock Collection. In Bethlehem, Cas also offered his expertise to the Moravian Museum, Historical Bethlehem Incorporated, the Moravian Historical Society and was a member of NAWCC. He was a member of the Central Moravian Church of Bethlehem.

Survivors: his loving wife Helen; sons, Robert D. and his wife Anne of Columbus, IN, David R. and his wife Lori of Mingo Junction, OH and John W. of Detroit, MI; grandsons, Timothy and his wife Julie of Bloomington, IN and Brian of Columubs, IN.

Services: Memorial services will be held at 10 AM on Monday, March 23 in the Old Chapel of Central Moravian Church, Heckewelder Place, with a luncheon immediately following. Burial will be held at Ft. Indiantown Gap National Cemetery in Annville, PA. Arrangements are entrusted to the Long Funeral Home, Bethlehem.

Contributions: in lieu of flowers, may be made to the Central Moravian Church (for the Tanzanian Well Fund), 73 W. Church Street, Bethlehem, PA 18018.

Copyright (c) 2015, The Morning Call, Inc.

Eugene Bell Linton ’47

Eugene B. Linton died January 10, 2015 at his home. Dr. Linton was born to William A. Linton and Charlotte B. Linton on the Presbyterian mission field in Kunsan, Korea on April 21, 1924. He was homeschooled during his early years in Korea. When on furlough, his family lived in Thomasville, Georgia where he graduated from high school. Dr. Linton attended Davidson College and graduated in 1947.

A veteran of World War II, he was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and was imprisoned by the Germans until the end of the war. He married Anne Ligon Linton of Columbia Tennessee in 1947. He graduated from the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond in 1951. He served as an intern in Wilmington, North Carolina and moved to Alta Vista Virginia in 1952 where he was a general practitioner.

In 1956 he moved with his wife Anne and three children to Winston-Salem to begin residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Bowman Gray School of Medicine. On completion of his training in 1959, the Lintons moved to Knoxville, Tennessee where Dr. Linton started practice at the Acuff Clinic. In 1962 the family returned to Winston-Salem where he joined the faculty at Bowman Gray. After a successful teaching career he left the medical school to start Lyndhurst Gynecological Associates in 1970. Thanks to his leadership and legacy, Lyndhurst is the longest standing private medical practice in the state of North Carolina. After the death of his first wife, he married Betty Jo Harrell of Winston-Salem.

In 1977, Dr. Linton took over as Chairman of OB-GYN at the University of Tennessee Memorial Hospital in Knoxville. The couple returned to Winston-Salem in 1984 and Dr. Linton rejoined Lyndhurst Gynecological Associates. Dr. Linton retired from practice in 1994 and moved to Arbor Acres in 2011. He was a long time member of Highland Presbyterian Church, having served the church as a ruling elder since 1956.

Dr. Linton is survived by his three children, Rev. Eugene B. Linton, Jr. and his wife Deb, of Walnut, NC, Dr. Jane L. Thilo of Bellevue, WA, and Charlotte L. Berliner and her husband Ernest, of Asheboro, NC; six grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM at Highland Presbyterian Church in Winston-Salem, NC.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorials be sent to Christian Friends of Korea at 129 Center Ave, Black Mountain, NC 28711. http://www.cfk.org or Wellspring, c/o James Linton, 82 Walker Cove Rd., Black Mountain, NC 28711. http://wellspringkorea.org/us/. Both of these non-profit organizations are serving the poor of North Korea and were dear to his heart.

Online condolences may be made through www.salemfh.com.

Copyright 2015, Knoxville News Sentinel Co. All Rights Reserved.

Allan W. Bosch ’47

1Allan W. Bosch, 91, of South Portland, died Dec. 21 at his home, surrounded by his family.

He was born March 1, 1923, in Lebanon, Kentucky, the son of the Rev. F.W.A. and Vivian Whitworth Bosch. He grew up in Springfield, Missouri, where he met his wife Louise, whom he married August 12, 1946.

He attended Springfield High School, and was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Davidson College in North Carolina, where he earned a degree in history in 1947.

His time at Davidson was interrupted when Bosch served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was a member of the 84th Infantry, and earned numerous decorations, including a Purple Heart, four Bronze Stars for meritorious service and a Good Conduct Medal.

In 1952, Bosch graduated from the University of Chicago with a doctorate in history and took his first teaching position at Westminster College in Salt Lake City, Utah. Eventually, he became registrar of the college, then served as dean of Marietta College in Ohio, and later, academic vice president of Western New England College in Springfield, Massachusetts. He retired in 1988.

While in Springfield, he was a member of the local Rotary Club, serving as its president for two years. In South Portland, he was a member of the First Congregational Church and sang in the choir. He also worked as a volunteer at Turning Point for Maine Medical Center. In his free time, Bosch enjoyed reading, solving crossword puzzles, collecting stamps and cheering for the Red Sox.

He is survived by his five children, Allan W. Bosch II and wife, Patricia, of Key Largo, Florida, Anne Bosch and husband, Marc Robertson, of Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, Stephen Bosch and wife, Pam, of Tucson, Arizona, and Susan and Jennifer Bosch, both of South Portland; three grandchildren, Bryan, Ethan and Barbara Bosch; and several great-grandchildren.

The family thanks Dr. John Reynolds for the years of service he offered and the support of the hospice staff of the VNA.

A funeral was held Dec. 29 at First Congregational Church, in South Portland.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Salvation Army.

Roderick Macdonald, Jr. ’47

1Roderick Macdonald, Jr., M.D., of Columbia, South Carolina, passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family on Monday, November 24, 2014.

A Memorial service will be held at 2:00 p.m. Monday, December 1, 2014, at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. The family will receive friends Sunday, November 30, 2014, from 3:00 until 5:00 p.m. at the Guignard Mansion, Still Hopes Episcopal Retirement Community. Dunbar Funeral Home, Devine Street Chapel is assisting the family.

Born on October 16, 1926, in Charleston, South Carolina, he was the son of Roderick Macdonald, M.D., and Jean Cunningham Macdonald. He spent his childhood in Charleston, Columbia, and Rock Hill. He graduated from Davidson College and the Medical University of South Carolina.

After graduating from medical school, he did his internship at Baltimore City Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, and his residency at Tulane School of Medicine in New Orleans, Louisiana. He served as Chief Resident in ophthalmology at Tulane, then spent a year as a Fellow specializing in corneal transplant surgery. Dr. Macdonald did a tour as a First Lieutenant in the United States Army Medical Corps at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

In 1951, he married Helen R. Codington of Wilmington, North Carolina. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky where he became an Assistant Professor and Chief of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He became a Diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology in 1957 and served as an Associate Examiner for that board from 1968-73. He served as Professor of Ophthalmology and Department Chairman from 1965-73. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Kentucky Lions’ Eye Research Institute. In 1973, Dr. Macdonald moved to Richmond, Virginia where he became the Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at the Medical College of Virginia.

In 1976, Dr. Macdonald accepted the position of Dean and Professor of Surgery (ophthalmology) at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine in Columbia. Under his leadership, the Medical School received its accreditation and graduated its Charter Class in 1981. He initiated the application for a chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Approval was granted in December, 1982, and Dr. Macdonald became the first faculty member elected to the newly-established chapter in 1983.

Following his seven year tenure as dean, he returned to Richmond, Virginia to practice ophthalmology. In 1992, he and his wife retired to Columbia to be closer to their family. He was named Distinguished Professor Emeritus and Dean Emeritus of the School of Medicine in 2001. He was a member of Trinity Cathedral, where he was a lay reader and served as a docent. He was a past member of the American Ophthalmological Society, American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Medical Association, the Sons of the American Revolution, The Saint Andrews Society, Forest Lake Country Club, the Palmetto Club, the Quadrille, and the Rotary Club.

He loved traveling, reading, and history. He had a great sense of humor and loved a good joke. He was a wonderful husband and father and will be greatly missed. Dr. Macdonald was predeceased by his parents, his step-mother, Sara Benn Macdonald of Rock Hill, South Carolina, and his step-sister, Mary Thompson of Monroe, North Carolina.

He is survived by his beloved wife, Helen; step-sisters, Martha Benn Macdonald of Rock Hill, South Carolina and Margaret Rose Macdonald of Virginia Beach, Virginia; his son, Roderick Macdonald, III (Jennifer) of Springfield, Virginia; his daughters, Anne Sumwalt (Robert L., III), Alexandra Hazelton (James B.), Elizabeth Beal (Frank S., Jr.), all of Columbia, Margaret Fant (James W., Jr., M.D.) of Saint Matthews, South Carolina; and his nine grandchildren, Hunter Macdonald, Mackenzie Sumwalt, Collins Hazelton, Frank and Callie Beal, Claiborne, James, Roderick, and William Fant.

In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully requests that memorials be made to Still Hopes Residents’ Assistance Fund, Pets, Inc., or a charity of one’s choice. The family would like to express their gratitude to the staff at Still Hopes Episcopal Home for their years of caring for Dr. Macdonald. Please sign the online guestbook at www.dunbarfuneralhomedevine.com.

.

 

Published in The Herald on Nov. 30, 2014

James Spencer Love, Jr. ’47

James Spencer Love, Jr., born in 1926, businessman and entrepreneur, died peacefully at home on August 2, 2014, in Delray Beach. Born 1926 in Burlington, NC, Mr. Love, the eldest son of James Spencer Love and Sara Elizabeth Love Appleget, raised his family in Greenwich, CT and Washington DC.

He graduated from the Woodberry Forest School, Davidson College (1947) and Harvard Business School (1949). He served in the Navy and as Deputy to the Secretary of Commerce in the Kennedy Administration. Mr. Love worked in the textile industry and then on Wall Street, before starting businesses in solar energy and media. His great passions were tennis and bridge; authoring a Bridge primer.

His wife, Meredith Morgan Love, is deceased. Previously, he had been married to Nancy Sullivan Reynolds, Joan Howell Citron and Christie Coon.

He is survived by six siblings, Robert Love and Julian Love, Charles Eskridge Love, Martin Love, Cornelia Spencer Love, and Lela Love; and seven children, James Spencer Love III, Rachel Cornelia Love Lorentzen, Lisa Love, Michael Love, Nancy Zahra Love, Peter Love, and Wynne Love; and 13 grandchildren.

His Memorial Service will be held August 23 at 2pm, St.Paul’s Episcopal Church in Delray, where he was a member.

To express condolences and/or make donations: Visit PalmBeachPost.com/obituaries

Patrick Murphy Williams, Jr. ’47

Patrick Murphy Williams, Jr. ’47 died October 10, 2013 of pancreatic cancer. Born in North Wilkesboro, N.C. on September 7, 1921, Pat completed his sophomore year at Wilkes Central High School before enrolling in McCallie School, Chattanooga, TN where he graduated in 1940.

That same year he entered Davidson College, and completed three years before joining the U.S. Army. He was honorably discharged in 1946, having served as a 1st Lieutenant Platoon Leader in the 341st Infantry, 86th Blackhawk Division in the European and Pacific theaters of operation. Pat returned to Davidson and graduated in 1947.

While at Davidson, he was Vice President of the Student Body, President of the Senior Class, was a member of ODK, Kappa Sigma Fraternity and each year earned varsity letters in football, basketball and track. In football, Pat played the end position on offense and defense, and in 1942, was Honorable mention on the A.P. All-American Football Team.

In 1947, Pat moved to Jacksonville, FL and was employed by Moore Dry Kiln Co. with manufacturing plants in Memphis, TN and Jacksonville, where he worked for over 25 years. He was President (1965-1970) when Moore Dry Kiln Company merged with U.S. Natural Resources of Menlo Park, CA.

In 1973, Pat purchased Stanley Fans, a local manufacturer of commercial and industrial ventilating equipment. In 1992, Stanley purchased Breidert Air Products from Walton Enterprises in Bentonville, Arkansas, with the surviving company becoming Breidert Air Products with it’s manufacturing plant still located in Jacksonville. In 2004, Breidert was purchased by Soler & Palau.

Pat served on the boards of many business, charitable, educational and religious organizations: First Federal Savings & Loan Assoc., Local Initiative Support Corp (LISC), YMCA, Young Life, United Way, United States Industrial Council, the United States Woodworking Machinery Assoc. and the International Air Moving & Control Association.

He was a member of Meninak, Timuquana and Deerwood Clubs and Sons of American Revolution. He was a trustee of Bartram School, Jacksonville University, Davidson College and the Edna Sproull Williams Foundation. Pat was an Elder and Trustee at First Presbyterian Church.

Pat was an active hunter, fisherman and golfer and starting at age 73, shot his age in golf several hundred times.

Pat’s wife, Dorothy Skinner Williams, predeceased him in 2010 after 60 years of marriage. He is survived by his four children: Rev. Ann W. Brinson (Bob) of High Point, N.C., Molly Williams, of Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, Pat Williams III (Liz) of Orange Park, FL and Susan W. Brodeur (Rick) of Jacksonville, FL. He has seven grandchildren: Buck (fiance Susannah Baker) and Ellie Williams, Will (AK) and Charlie Brinson, and Ford, Patrick and Bryant Brodeur. He is survived by his two brothers in law Dick Skinner and Bryant Skinner.

A memorial service was held at First Presbyterian Church, 118 E. Monroe Street, Jacksonville, FL 32202 on Thursday, October 17 at 11:00 a.m.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in Pat’s memory to First Presbyterian Church’s Pastor’s Discretionary Fund. Words of comfort may be shared with the family at patarewski@gmail.com.