John Frankel ’11, of Pelham, N.Y., died of a car accident on Dec. 31 in Westport, N.Y. He was born Feb. 16, 1989, in New York City to Errol Frankel and Elise Falkinburg, 251 Ancon Ave., Pelham, NY 10803. He was a senior at Davidson. He is survived by his parents, loving brother James ’13, maternal grandmother Florence, aunts, uncles, cousins, and loving friends.
William Whitfield Morrow, Jr. ’70, 62, of Chapel Hill, N.C., died Dec. 29 at his home. Son of William Whitfield and Margaret Jolly Morrow, he was born and raised in Albemarle, N.C., where he earned his Eagle Scout and a football scholarship to Davidson. Morrow majored in economics, was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, and won All Southern Conference honors in football and track. After graduation from Harvard Business School and service in the U.S. Army Medical Service Corps, he began a career in real estate development with Sea Pines Corporation of Hilton Head. At the time of his death, he worked for the New Hope Technology Foundation of Chapel Hill. In 1997, he received the Davidson Alumni Service Award. Morrow was preceded in death by his parents and his brother, David. He is survived by his wife, Debbie Morrow, 218 Hillcrest Cir., Chapel Hill, NC 27514; daughters, Katie, Paige, and Leigh; son, James; son-in-law, Bishop; granddaughter, Graceyn; and sister, Ellen and her family.
C. Harper Newbold ’52, of Davidson, N.C., died Dec. 29 after a long and courageous battle with pancreatic cancer. Newbold was born July 14, 1928, in Wilmington, N.C., to the late Jeremiah McMullan and Jessie Harper Newbold. He grew up in the First Presbyterian Church, earned the rank of Eagle Scout, and served in the 82nd Airborne Division before entering Davidson in 1948. A 1952 graduate of Davidson, he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha, a battalion C.O. in the ROTC, president of Scabbard and Blade, and a Distinguished Military Army ROTC graduate. After graduation he served as an infantry officer from 1952-54 in Korea. He retired from General Motors (GMAC) in 1988, following 34 years of service. He was very proud of his association with General Motors and the many friends created during this service. After retirement he moved to Davidson and enjoyed living and serving in the college town of his alma mater. He was class chairman of the college Annual Fund drive for 15 years, something he loved to do, as it kept him in touch with his classmates. A Presbyterian all his life, he served as an elder and a moderator for Sam Maloney’s Sunday school at DCPC, and as a deacon, elder, and Sunday school teacher at other Presbyterian churches. His community service included the Davidson Lions Club (president, 1994-95), receiving the Melvin Jones Fellowship; volunteering for Habitat for Humanity in Davidson; and serving as a member of several Town of Davidson committees (including the land use committee and the town planning board), helping make critical decisions for the future of Davidson. Newbold was a Christian, Southern gentleman, husband, father, grandfather, brother, Lion, and soldier. His children loved him for his unconditional love and support, his moral character, his sense of fairness, and his generosity. Newbold is survived by his loving wife of 60 years, Betty Sandifer Newbold, 330 Jib Ct., Davidson, NC 28036-7100; daughter, Anne Newbold Dixon (Ed); son, William Hunter Newbold (Linda); and granddaughters, Katherine Harper Dixon Toms (David) and Charlotte Sandifer Dixon. His son, Charles Harper Newbold, Jr., preceded him in death in 1989. Also surviving are his siblings, Caroline N. Swails, Anne N. Perkins, Jerry M. Newbold, Jr. ’43 (Pat), Jessie N. Kennedy (James Kennedy), and twin brother K. Raynor Newbold ’52 (Ellen). Memorial donations may be made to Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035-7174.
Frederick C. Boykin ’43, of Pensacola, Fla., was born March 25, 1922, in Akron, Ohio, and passed away peacefully on Dec. 29. Boykin graduated from Davidson and was accepted at Emory Medical School, where he earned his medical degree in June 1945. Boykin served his internship at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, Ga., and entered the U.S. Navy Medical Corps in 1947. He was transferred to inactive duty after 28 months of service, and began his neurological surgery training at St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York City. He completed his training in 1953, at which time he entered into private practice as a neurosurgeon in Shreveport, La. He practiced there until 1985, when he moved to Florida to enjoy his retirement by pursuing his passion for boating. During Boykin’s medical career, he was on active/courtesy staff at Christus Schumpert Hospital, Willis Knighton Hospital, and Confederate Memorial Hospital (now known as LSU Health Sciences Center). He served as a diplomat on the American Board of Neurological Surgery, and was a member of the Harvey Cushing Society and American Association of Neurological Surgery Society. He was also the first president of the Louisiana Neurological Surgical Society. Boykin was preceded in death by his parents, William A. and Patricia Henry Boykin. He is survived by his wife of 31 years, Lois Little Boykin, 5269 Pale Moon Dr., Pensacola, FL 32507; previous wife, Betty Robinson Hilliard; stepsister, Carol Abdenour; daughter, Babs Roggero (Tony); son, Fred Boykin (Jane); three grandchildren, Aubrie Patton (Todd), Will Roggero, and Hannah Boykin; stepdaughters, Maria Adams (Clay) and Helen Graham; stepson, John Sekas (Erin); and step-grandchildren, Hayes and Grey Adams, Ashley and John Graham, and Sean and Nick Sekas.
Lewis Tillman Rogers ’47, 86, of Charlotte, N.C., passed away Dec. 24, 2010. He was preceded in death by his wife, Eloise P. Rogers, and is survived by his three children, Michael Rogers, Pamela Mulcahy, and Alice Rogers Yoder ’76, 828 Blackburn Ct., Charlotte, NC 28209-4065; five grandchildren, Karl and Bethany Mulcahy, Christopher and David Yoder, and Lauren Y. Sawyers; and one great-grandson, Luke Sawyers. Rogers graduated from Davidson in 1947. His studies there were interrupted by WWII, when Rogers enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He graduated from the Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry in 1951 and practiced general dentistry in the Richmond area. Rogers also remained on staff at MCV as a part-time faculty member for over 40 years. He and his wife were founding members of Tuckahoe Presbyterian Church. An avid cyclist, he was honored with a lifetime membership by the Richmond Area Bicycling Association (RABA).