John Malcolm Parker ’41, of Birmingham, Ala., died Dec. 18 at age 90. Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, his childhood was in Cuba at Central España in Matanzas Province, where his father, Charles Parker, managed the commercial department of Matanzas Sugar Co. Parker and brother, Bob, were home-schooled by their mother, Mabel. He earned a B.S. from Davidson in 1941. He worked for Standard Oil of N.J., and for Duke Power Co. He was in the U.S. Army during WWII. After WWII, he worked for Southern Bell Telephone Co. in Charlotte, Atlanta, and Birmingham. He was responsible for all internal audit service and was secretary to the board of directors audit committee. He retired in 1983. He founded and was president of Omega Associates, and provided management services to organizations including UAB, Callaway Gardens, and Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA). Parker was active in Presbyterian churches in Davidson, Charlotte, Atlanta, and joined South Highland Presbyterian Church when he and his family moved to Birmingham. He served as deacon, ruling elder, and teacher. He was commissioner to two General Assemblies. He was active in the Institute of Management Accountants. He was South Birmingham chapter’s first president and was national board of directors’ representative. He was president of the Birmingham chapter of IIA and vice chair of their international board of directors. He was invited to address the All-India Conference of Internal Auditors in Madras, India, in 1980. Parker was a certified internal auditor, and a member of the International Platform Association and The Club. He is listed in Who’s Who in America. Parker was married for 46 years to Irene Davis Parker until her death in 1987. Surviving him is his wife of 22 years, Emma Kathryn Smithey Parker, 1424 Montclair Rd., Apt. 157-E, Birmingham, AL 35210-2208; his daughter, Elane Parker Jones; granddaughter, Meg Jones, a teacher in Morocco; stepdaughters, Joan Dawson (Frank), and Leeds and Ellen Davis; nephews, Jack Parker and Tom Parker; and niece, Sandra McMillan.
Edward Cameron “Cam” Cridlebaugh, Jr. ’55, of High Point, N.C., passed away on Dec. 16 in High Point. He was born on Dec. 11, 1932, in High Point to the late Edward Cameron Cridlebaugh, Sr. and Frances Welch Cridlebaugh. He was a third generation and lifelong member of the First Baptist Church of High Point and a former Sunday school teacher. Cridlebaugh graduated from Davidson, where he was a member of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He was the president and CEO of the Atlantic Insurance and Realty Company, a firm that was started in 1922 by his father in High Point. Cridlebaugh served the real estate community as the president of the High Point Regional Association of Realtors in 1977. He served on numerous professional and community organizations, including the High Point Jaycees (life member), High Point Fair Association (life member), High Point Regional Association of Realtors (life member/realtor emeritus), High Point YMCA Board of Directors, High Point Insurance Exchange, High Point Chamber or Commerce (life member), and Camp Cheerio. He was a member of the High Point Rotary Club, with 47 years perfect attendance, and was a Paul Harris fellow. One of his proudest accomplishments was achieving the rank of Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow. Cridlebaugh proudly served in the U.S. Navy on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Randolph from 1956-58. His passion was the circus, and he would travel frequently with the Roberts Brothers Circus and Hoxie Brothers Circus and especially enjoyed working with the circus elephants. In 1966, he married Hilda Penn “Penny” Hines of Greensboro, N.C. Cridlebaugh is survived by his wife, Penny Cridlebaugh, 1415 Heathcliff Rd., Greensboro, NC 27262; his daughter, Natalie Penn Kelley (Tim) and children, Timothy and Cameron; a son, Edward Cameron Cridlebaugh III (Nicole) and children, Tilman and twins, Emily and Rowan; sister, Nancy Beard (Tom Beard ’55) and children, Anne Krahnert, and Richard and John Beard; sister, Carol Hutchins (Ray) and children, Ray and Elizabeth; mother-in-law, Hilda Hines; and brother-in-law, Andy Hines (Nancy).
William Alexander Ranson ’45, of Charlotte, N.C., died Dec. 15. Ranson was born Feb. 27, 1923, in Charlotte, son of the late Mary Query Ranson and J. Lester Ranson. He attended Davidson and Duke University and received his M.D. degree from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia in 1948. He had postgraduate training at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, Charlotte Memorial Hospital, and the University of California Hospital in San Francisco. He served in U.S. Navy Reserve and served overseas with the U.S. Air Force Medical Corps, receiving honorable discharge with the rank of captain. In 1954, Ranson married Margaret “Peg” Hartsell, and they made their first home in California. At the University of California School of Medicine in San Francisco, he was clinical instructor in medicine, and at the University of California in Berkeley he was associate physician for student health. Ranson entered the solo practice of internal medicine in Charlotte in 1957, and, in 1991, he joined group practice with First Charlotte Physicians, retiring in 1994. He was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha honorary medical society, an emeritus member of the Mecklenburg County Medical Society, and a former member of the North Carolina Society of Internal Medicine, the American Society of Internal Medicine, and the American Medical Association. A longtime member of Myers Park Presbyterian Church, Ranson served as a deacon and an elder. He was a former volunteer for Friendship Trays and a member of the senior forum. He will be remembered as a faithful churchman; a loving husband, father, and grandfather; a loyal friend; and a kind and gentle physician. Survivors include his wife, Peg, 5100 Sharon Rd., Unit 2401, Charlotte, NC 28210; daughter, Jane R. Little (Charles L. Little, Jr.); sons, Lester A. Ranson (Rebecca) and Forrest L. Ranson ’85; grandchildren, Margaret Pate Little and Charles L. Little III; brother, John L. Ranson ’38 (Marilyn); sister, Mary Emily R. Baesel (Edward); sister-in-law, Mary Nell Ranson; four nieces and five nephews; and a number of great-nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his sister, Elva Ann Sarratt, and brother, Robert Query Ranson.
Robert Breedlove Moffett ’34, of Winston-Salem, N.C., went to join his maker on Dec. 15 at Hospice Home in Winston-Salem. He was preceded in death by his wife, Eleanor Moffett. He was born in Kiangyin, China, the son of Presbyterian missionaries, Lacy Irvin and Kate Rod Moffett, on April 5, 1910.
He graduated from Davidson College. He was one of eight children. His brothers and sisters who preceded him in death were: Newton Moffett, Rod Moffett, Alex Moffett, Irvine Moffett, Florence Snell, and Cai Conway. He is survived by his sister, Martha Ellen Forbes; his son, Robert W. Moffett (Charlotte E. Moffett), 2416 Wimbledon Cir., Burlington, NC 27215-7685; his grandson, Robert L. Moffett (Joy); his great-grandchildren, Daniel Robert Moffett and Lucy Moffett; and his son-in-law, John Owen.
He was a major in the U.S. Army during WWII and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He continued his military career in the U.S. Army Reserve until his retirement. He and his wife, Eleanor, moved to Burlington, N.C., in 1945, where they had a daughter, Alice Rod Moffett, who passed away in May 2009, and a son, Robert W. Moffett, who currently lives with his wife in Burlington. While in Burlington, he was principal of Glen Hope Elementary School. When that school closed, he became principal of Jessie Wharton Elementary School in Greensboro.
He was both a deacon and elder at First Presbyterian Church in Burlington. He dedicated his life to the teaching of children, and later, in retirement, to his gardening. He grew many vegetables for his family and gave the excess away to the community. He displayed great optimism and love for everyone and always had a smile for everyone he met.
Frank McMillan Renfrow ’56, of Matthews, N.C., died Dec. 13 at Presbyterian Hospital in Matthews. A lifelong Matthews resident, he was the only child of the late Annie Lou McMillan Renfrow and the late Eugene McDowell Renfrow. He was a descendant of one of Matthews’ pioneer families. Upon graduation from Davidson, he became associated with his father in the family business of Renfrow General Merchandise and Cotton Brokerage and Ginning. The business was founded late in the 19th century by his grandfather, the late T.J. Renfrow. He remained associated with the business throughout his life. Renfrow also engaged in farming in Mecklenburg and Union counties. Joining Matthews Presbyterian Church as a youth, he served as deacon, elder, and trustee. He served as chairman of the board of directors and the vice president of the former Bank of Matthews. Upon the bank’s merger in 1976 with Branch Banking and Trust Company, he served for 27 years on various advisory boards of BB&T. Renfrow served on the Davidson’s Board of Visitors. He was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. In recent years Renfrow enjoyed watching college basketball and spending time at his summer home on the South Carolina coast.