Category Archive for: ‘Homepage’
As noted in previous posts, the new Web site will feature a responsive design where visitors who access the site on a tablet or mobile phone are served a slightly different design optimized for the screen size of each device.
For example, when viewed horizontally on an iPad, visitors might see the desktop homepage view but when the iPad is flipped to a vertical view the site would automatically adjust to accommodate the smaller screen size.
On an iPhone or Android phone, visitors would see a narrower view of the site with content optimized for display on a mobile phone. Navigation would be presented in drop-down menus and as buttons rather than long text-based lists.
The same site content will be seen across all devices — desktop computer, tablet, or mobile phone.
We recently approved homepage designs for tablet and mobile views. Included below is a gallery of the designs. Click on a thumbnail image to see a larger view of each design.
At last, we have a new homepage design! BarkleyREI presented us with four design concepts, which we quickly narrowed to two concepts that were selected for further modification.
The designs were tested with three focus groups: (1) current students, (2) alumni, and (3) faculty and staff. The chosen design was the near unanimous favorite of our student and alumni focus groups.
Features of New Homepage Design
- Clean, traditional design that utilizes the Davidson red and black colors
- Large, very visual featured content area focused on key themes and messaging
- News and events area shown “above the fold” so will be easily viewable on smaller monitors
- Callout area for important college initiatives. In the example, the callout area is represented by “The Arts” and “The Davidson Trust”
- A social media streaming scroll, which pulls content from the college’s social media sites
- Super footer with commonly accessed links
- Drop-down navigation with an optional featured content area within the navigation area
- Internal college audiences have been combined under a single Inside Davidson link, which is noted with a “lock” noting authentication is required
Responsive Design for Tablet and Mobile Devices
Home Page Design Gallery
We are pleased to show off the new Davidson homepage, which will launch sometime in late January or early February 2012. The “refreshed” homepage will serve as an interim homepage until the site-wide redesign project is completed in the next 12-18 months.
As noted in a previous blog post, we had specific objectives in mind for the design and functionality of the homepage. With that, we were limited in scope to working with the same information architecture and color palette so as to avoid introducing any new usability issues for visitors navigating from the top page to interior pages.
New Homepage Features
- New drop navigation at the top of the page allowing visitors to more quickly get to content on top-level pages
- Large background image that provides a sense of place of the Davidson campus
- Featured-content area at the top of the page that will allow us to present multimedia elements, including videos and photo galleries
- Callout area that will allow us to present important announcements
- Tabbed area that presents news, events, blogs, podcasts and social media feeds
- Super footer that lists many commonly accessed links