Charles Lemmon Shaw ’47

Charles Lemmon Shaw '47A memorial service for Charles Lemmon Shaw, who died Wednesday, January 3, 2018, will be held at First Presbyterian Church Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 3 o’clock with the Reverend Nick Cheek officiating.

Mr. Shaw was born at Tuomey Hospital on April 4, 1924 to Paul Whitworth Shaw and Lilly Lemmon Shaw.

Charles Shaw, affectionately known as Flop, spent the first five years of his life in Alcolu when his father worked for his grandfather, David Wells Alderman, in his timber business.

Upon entering school, Flop moved to Sumter, and his father, Whit Shaw, established Shaw Lumber Company in 1930.

Flop worked at Shaw Lumber Company his entire adult life and served as president of Carolina Lumber Dealers Association. Charles Shaw graduated from Edmunds High School and Davidson College. As a Davidson freshman he joined the U.S. Army during World War II and was sent to Anzio, Italy where he received the Purple Heart.

He was a lifelong member of First Presbyterian Church where he served as a Sunday School teacher, Chairman of the Board of Deacons, Church Treasurer, Clerk of the Session, Church Trustee, and Elder Emeritus.

He was president of the YMCA Board of Directors and selected as Humanitarian of the Year. He served as on the board of the Salvation Army

Flop is survived by his wife of 70 years Mary Macaulay Brown Shaw and their two children Mary Brown Shaw White and her husband Dr. Charles White , and Paul Whitworth “Whit” Shaw and his wife Robin all of Sumter; three granddaughters Macaulay White Smith and her husband Representative Murrell Smith, Mary White Finley and her husband Justin and Sarah Corbett Shaw; and two great grandchildren Mary Brown “Bee” Smith and George Murrell Smith, III.

Graveside services will be private. The family will receive friends at the family home Saturday, January 6, 2018 from 3-5 in the afternoon. Memorials may be sent to First Presbyterian Church at 9 West Calhoun Street, Sumter, South Carolina 29150 or The Salvation Army of Sumter at 16 Kendrick Street, Sumter, South Carolina 29150.

The family has chosen Bullock Funeral Home for the arrangements.

Published in The State on Jan. 5, 2018

Milton Knox Mann, Jr. ’47

Milton Knox Mann, Jr. '47Milton Knox Mann, Jr., 95, of Collierville, passed away peacefully on November 18, 2017. He is survived by his beloved wife of 72 years, Martha Haynes Mann; daughter Betty Mann Ed-wards (Brian); son James Milton Mann II (Judy); and daughter Marilyn Mann Hiner (Russ), all of Collierville.

He enjoyed watching the family expand with six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He is third generation of Collierville heritage, the son of Alice Cartwright Mann and Milton Knox Mann, Sr. He graduated from Collierville High, then attended Davidson College.

As World War II broke out, he was called to serve his country proudly in the U.S. Army Air Corps, rising to the rank of Second Lieutenant, having trained as a pilot flying B-17s, B-24s and B-29s preparing to be shipped overseas when the war ended.

After the war, he completed his college education with a degree in physics from Davidson. Milton and Martha were married on February 7, 1945, and they moved around the country where his Ar-my service led him before the war ended, before finally settling back in Collierville. With hard work and perseverance, he started a new business built from the ground up, Collierville Lumber company, which provided a comfortable living for his growing family.

He was an avid golfer (he notably made two holes in one after age 70) and tennis player, and en-joyed scuba diving, hiking, camping and canoeing. After retiring in 1980, he and Martha enjoyed traveling around the country as well as traveling all over the world. He had an insatiable third for adventure and seeking firsthand knowledge of new places. He never met a stranger.

He was proud to serve the Collierville United Methodist Church as a lifelong active member. He served with many missionary groups in foreign countries helping others, donating his time, energy and money. He was an excellent role model and encouraged his children to work hard and instilled faith-based values and a great sense of respect for others.

Later in life, Milton even wrote a book about growing up in Collierville with colorful stories of his travels. He will be greatly missed by so many, but his body had grown tired and he was ready to go “home”…a well-deserved rest.

(Published in The Collierville Herald 12.7.17).

© 2017 American Hometown Publishing, Inc.

Edward Steele “Buddy” Whitesides ’47

Edward "Buddy" Whitesides '47Edward Steele “Buddy” Whitesides, M.D., of Windy Ridge Farm, Clover, husband of Margaret Baldwin Rowland Plowden, passed away on Saturday, October 28, at the age of 94, at the Wayne T. Patrick Hospice House in Rock Hill.

Born on June 17, 1923 in Gastonia, N.C. to Major Vance Whitesides and Lillian McCown Whitesides, Dr. Whitesides faithfully served God, his family and mankind.

He was educated in the Gastonia public schools and was a graduate of Davidson College and the Duke University School of Medicine. He was a member of First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Gastonia, where he served as an elder, taught Sunday School, and sang in the choir.

During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army in the European Theatre of Operations. Dr. Whitesides married George Anne Robertson of York, S.C. in 1948 and they initially lived in Durham while he was in medical school. Following the completion of his medical education and training, they moved to Gastonia, where he practiced orthopedic surgery for more than 40 years. They had been married for more than 60 years at the time of Mrs. Whitesides’ death in 2009.

In 2010 he married Margaret, a long-time friend of Dr. Whitesides and George Anne. Up until Dr. Whitesides’ final illness, the couple divided their time among Windy Ridge Farm, Wedgefield, S.C. and Bennetts Point, S.C., where they were instrumental in the founding and construction of the Bennetts Point Interdenominational Chapel.

In addition to his medical practice in Gastonia, Dr. Whitesides was deeply committed to medical mission work in Haiti. Beginning in the 1970s, his involvement included arranging the shipment of hospital equipment to a newly built 50-bed hospital in Bonne Fin.

That hospital would be known as the Hospital of Light. Several times a year for many years, Dr. Whitesides and his medical partner Dr. Robert Blake traveled to Bonne Fin to treat the impoverished people of Haiti.

Dr. Whitesides was instrumental in the creation in 1987 of Lumiere Medical Ministries, a Christian non-profit that today supports Christian medical missions across Haiti. At the time of his death, he was a director emeritus on Lumiere’s board of directors.

His last visit to Haiti was in 2010 to attend the ribbon-cutting ceremony for a new hospital, King’s Hospital in Port-au-Prince, of which Lumiere Medical Ministries is a supporting partner. During that visit, the “Great White Doctor,” as he was often called by patients, had a joyful reunion with many Haitian friends, some of whom he had not seen in 25 years.

During his time practicing in Gastonia, he served on a number of medical boards and committees including the Board of Governors of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery; member and vice-chair of the Board of Gastonia Health Care; and Chief of Staff of the former Gaston Memorial Hospital, today known as CaroMont Regional Medical Center.

Dr. Whitesides was also instrumental in the organization of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter in Gastonia. For years, he, along with his wife and daughters, attended the FCA summer camps near Black Mountain, N.C. He also served as the team doctor for local high school football games.

A man of many interests, he was an avid hunter, fisherman, trainer of dogs and horses, farmer and gardener. He played the piano and he sang for many years with the Gastonia Choral Society.

He also enjoyed making Southwestern Native American turquois-and- silver jewelry, which he would sign “EZW” — for the whimsically self-named “Edward Zuni Whitesides.” He owned and piloted an airplane, having learned to fly in self-defense, fearing what might happen if something befell one of the pilots of the little two-seater planes used in flying him to and from in Haiti.

Dr. Whitesides is survived by his wife, Margaret; his two daughters, Maryanne Whitesides of Windy Ridge Farm and Roseanne Whitesides (married to Jeff Rockholt) also of Windy Ridge Farm; grandson Cole Nichols (Amy) of Colonial Beach, Va.; and a sister, Mary Lou Pearson of Gastonia.

He is also survived by stepchildren Charles G. Rowland (Sylvia) of Walterboro, S.C., Earle Rowland (Denise) of Paxville, S.C., Louise R. Burns (Jim) of Camden, S.C., and by numerous nieces and nephews.

In addition to his first wife George Anne, he was predeceased by a sister, Anne Whitesides Alexander.

The family extends its heartfelt gratitude to the staff of the Wayne T. Patrick Hospice House for the tender care and comfort provided to Dr. Whitesides during his final days.

A celebration of his life will be held at First ARP Church, 317 South Chester Street in Gastonia at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 2, 2017. The family will receive friends at the church following the service. Burial will be private.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to First ARP Church, 317 S. Chester St., Gastonia SC 28052; Lumiere Medical Ministries, 510 S. First Street, Lowell NC 28098; or to the charity of one’s choice.

Condolence messages may be sent online at

McLean Funeral Directors of Gastonia is serving the Whitesides family.

Copyright, 2017, The Gaston Gazette, All Rights Reserved.

William Bruner Campbell ’47

William Campbell '47William Bruner Campbell, 94, of Austin, died Saturday, September 23rd in Houston, surrounded by family.

He was born July 10, 1923 in Palestine, Texas, son of the late Thomas Mitchell Campbell, Jr. and Erma Langston Campbell.<

He was preceded in death by his brother, Thomas Mitchell Campbell, III. Bill was the grandson of Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell, and great-great-nephew of Pinckney Henderson, the first Governor of the State of Texas in 1845.

Bill graduated from Schreiner Institute High School in Kerrville in 1940. He enlisted in the U.S. Navyduring WWII and served in the Pacific Theater, where he was gravely injured during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. During the Korean War, he was a member of the U.S, Air Force Reserve, attached to British Intelligence.

After the war, Bill received his Bachelor’s degree from Davidson College in 1947 and his master’s and Ph.D. in ’48 and ’54 respectively from The University of Texas at Austin. He was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and several honor societies.

His post-graduate research was at St John’s College, Oxford, the Institute of Historical Research, London, and in India on a Fulbright Scholarship. Bill taught at Mississippi State College for Women, 1959-60, and was a professor and Provost of The University of the South from 1960-1975, where he helped integrate the school. He helped found, and served on the board of, Kirby Hall School in Austin.

He was a visiting professor at University College, Oxford, and at Schreiner University. At age 66, Bill joined the Peace Corps and taught at the University of Tunisia.

An avid painter and writer, Bill published books on William Gordon and John Robinson, a novel, short stories, kept a daily journal since 1942, and faithfully wrote a letter a day to his children for over 10 years.

Bill was a past President of the American Student’s Association in England. A long-time member of the English Speaking Union, he served on its board in England, the national board in the States, and was a past President of the Austin branch.

He served on the board of the Zachary Scott Theatre, the Anglo-Texan Society with Graham Greene, and was a founding member of the board of the Austin Lyric Opera. He was a past member of the Knights of the Symphony, and the Headliners Club.

He is survived by his son Thomas Mitchell Campbell, IV and wife Dee Ann of League City, TX, Virginia Fenner Campbell and partner Roger Reynolds of New Orleans, and grandchildren Sara Lily and William Logan Campbell. He is also survived by many adored cousins and friends.

Family and friends are invited to attend a Memorial Service on Saturday, October 7th, at Holy Spirit Episcopal Church, 301 Hays Country Acres, Dripping Springs, at 3:00 PM, followed by a celebration at his home. Interment will be private.

In lieu of flowers, Bill requested memorials be sent to Holy Spirit Episcopal Church.

Published in Austin American-Statesman on Sept. 29, 2017

Jack Page, Jr. ’47

Jack Page '47

Jack Page Jr., 95, died on Aug. 25, 2017, in Flagler Hospital following a short illness. He was born on Dec. 28, 1921, in New York City to John and Harriet Page.

After high school he worked on Wall Street as a runner for the commodities markets.

While in New York, he joined a fife and drum corps, developing a life-long passion for music, a love that he instilled in his children.

During the Second World War he served in the Army Air Corps, operating the radar on the Northrup P-61 night fighter in the South Pacific.

Following the war, he attended Davidson College, where he earned a degree in accounting and met Mary Elizabeth Nisbet, the woman who would be his wife for 34 years. In 1947, he began a distinguished 26 year long career as an agent in the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Posts took him and his growing family to Baltimore, Chicago, Puerto Rico, Miami and Mexico, but his and his family’s deepest roots were in St. Augustine, where he lived from 1955 to 1965 and, following duty in Mexico, again from 1973 to 2017.

During his 54 years in St. Augustine, Jack, as he was always known, was active in numerous community organizations, taking leadership roles in Memorial Presbyterian Church (as ruling elder and as youth group leader), the St. Augustine Orchestra, the Emil Maestre Music Association, and the St. Augustine Community Chorus. An avid golfer, he was a member of the Ponce Golf Club and the Shores Golf Course for over 50 years.

Following his retirement from the FBI in 1973, he began a second career in St. Johns County’s Vocational Technical Center, training future policemen and sheriff’s deputies in law enforcement as well as holding other administrative roles at the Center.

Not long after the death of his wife Lib in 1983, he retired from the Center, but remained active in the community through his love of music and golf. In 1986 he married Sarah Cottingham, and became a devoted step-father to two young girls, raising a second family in St. Augustine.

Jack is survived by his wife of 31 years, Sarah Cottingham Page, as well as three children, J. Bryan Page, Daniel William Page, Carol Ann Slade, two step-daughters Carey Bailey and Erin Gunia, five grandchildren, and one great-grandson.

A memorial service will take place at Memorial Presbyterian Church, 36 Valencia St., St. Augustine, at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30 with a reception to follow.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to EMMA Concert Association, Jack Page Project Fund, PO Box 860130, St. Augustine, FL, 32086.

To send flowers or a memorial gift to the family of Jack Page please visit our Sympathy Store.